Thursday, May 26, 2011

Business Development - Don't Miss Your Connecting Flight




Have you ever missed a connecting flight and had to wait hours for the next flight to go out? You end up wasting time and feeling frustrated at the airport surrounded by others who may be feeling the same things.

The same is true if you miss out on an opportunity to connect or form a relationship with someone you may run into in a business setting. Long standing relationships with vendors, clients, and friends in general are key to the future of your business career. The business connections that we make each day can help us days, weeks, years, or even decades from now.

In my senior year of my undergrad, I made it a point to sit by a different person each day in class. I learned about these people, their likes, dislikes, goals, and love or hate for the class we were in. This proved to be a valuable asset to myself when I decided to run student government to represent the students of the business school. Instead of asking random strangers for votes, I was asking friends to help me get into office. I was able to win the election decidedly against the competition.

The connections I have made in my undergrad, graduates school, and business settings have helped me to have the power to go to my friends for advice on a specific strategy I am working on, vendor choices to make, career advice, or any other thing that you may need from your friends. The same is true for yourself helping your friends to develop their businesses when called upon. The service and ideas you provide to your connections will improve your relationship with them and also improve your development as a leader.

The key to business development is connections. Make sure to not miss your flight and to keep your connections growing.

2 comments:

  1. Pep Subirana via LinkedIn: I like you blog very much Joe. Clever insights. Nice job. RATING? 5 STARS ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okili Ikechukwu via LinkedIn: very creative.keep it up

    ReplyDelete